Tuesday 17 March 2015

I Am Not Under Pressure to Resign and Nobody Has Asked Me to Proceed on Terminal Leave - Jega

Though some protesters, comprising some Nollywood actors and actresses and the factional leader of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), Gani Adams, under the aegis of Coalition of Concerned Nigerians, have called for the removal of the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, the INEC boss has declared that he is not going to quit his job.

The group, which took to the streets of Lagos yesterday, gave seven reasons why Jega has to go. But Jega reminded them yesterday that he was not under pressure to resign from office, just as he told critics calling for his sack that he would not resign because he had a job to do.

The INEC chairman stated these at the town hall meeting organised in Abuja by Reinvent Media, in conjunction Ford Foundation and Kukah Centre, where he fielded questions on the state of preparedness of the electoral commission ahead of the March 28 and April 11 elections.

On his protests and agitations from some quarters for him to resign, Jega declared: “I have a job to do and I remain focused to do it. It will be a dis-service for me to resign now.

“No reasonable person, in my view, who is holding this kind of job – like the one I am holding – will contemplate dropping everything and go on leave before the job is concluded.

“For me it is not an option and nobody has asked me to go on leave. We remain focused; we have a job to do and we are determined to conduct the best election for this country.

“I am not under pressure to resign. It would be disservice to the nation for me to say that I will resign when I have no reason to resign.”

He further denied reports that he was being forced to proceed on a terminal leave.

“Terminal leave is an option, a grace period given to anyone to go on leave before he finally leaves office. As I have said, earlier, I have a job to do till April 11. Terminal leave is not an option. Nobody has asked me to proceed on terminal leave other than what I read in the newspapers,” he insisted.

Jega described the calls for his resignation as diversionary and a game orchestrated by some politicians.

The INEC boss, who expressed confidence over the improved security situation in the northeast states affected by insurgency,

however, clarified that he was not in a proper position to speak on the security readiness for the elections.

On the readiness of the commission for the 2015 elections, he said: “We are ready and prepared for the elections and we will meet the aspirations of Nigeria.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment